Saturday, May 2, 2009

Being on top - To be or not to be

I always wonder why one wants to remain on top or wants to come first always. Is it the high that it gives knowing fully well that it will not last long!

Now dont get me wrong, I am definitely not against being on top. I have been living this - As a child I have always been first(or in top three) in the class. I have excelled in sports, music etc....but it then became benchmark. It used be a surprise if I didnt come first. So once in while I didnt make to top either in sports/music/acedemics, someone would ask "What happened, wasnt she feeling well or has she started to take it easy?". The constant pressure is definitely very hard on oneself. It is worse when you are forced to be someone else's role model when the other person doesnt want to accept that. To given example, my siblings were always told "Look at your sister, she is so good at maths, why cant you be like her?" - they despised being in the school as me ( I am being a little harsh here). It became diffcult when I joined work because everyone was equally intelligent and I found it difficult to reconcile to the fact that I am just one amongst the crowd.

On a daily basis I live this life of trying to be on top but is it worth it? I dont have an answer. Nevertheless my subconcious mind doesnt allow me to settle for less. I have seen companies who really wants to be underdogs just so that they dont have the constant pressure of being on top and be in the eye of the media constantly. I have also seen companies that have managed to remain on top for years together( I do not know the pressure they undergo to remaind there).

All I can say is when you have this question coming "What next?", its time to move to something new where you start from ground zero and go on to excel :-) The cycle continues.

No comments: